Illinois Opioid Alternative Pilot Program
Beginning January 31, 2019, the Illinois Medical Cannabis Pilot Program will begin accepting applications for patients under the Illinois Opioid Alternative Pilot Program (OAPP). In this program, patients who have, or who could otherwise qualify for an opioid prescription may access medical cannabis from state licensed dispensaries.
Who is Qualified under the Alternative Pilot Program?
Illinois residents age 21 or older who have been prescribed opioids, or who have a health condition in which opioids could be prescribed. Before you register for the OAPP, a doctor licensed in Illinois must complete an online physician certification indicating that you have a prescription for an opioid or could be prescribed an opioid. OAPP participants must be re-certified by their physician every 90 days.
People with a CDL-driver’s license or a school bus driver permit cannot apply.
Note: OAPP patients cannot have a designated caregiver to assist them with medical cannabis use. Current Medical Cannabis Pilot Program participants are not eligible to register for OAPP.
How do I register for the Illinois Opioid Alternative Program?
Before you register for the OAPP, a doctor licensed in Illinois must complete an online physician certification indicating that you have a prescription for an opioid or could be prescribed an opioid.
Once the physician certification is submitted, patients can register on-line, a $10 registration fee covers the initial 90-day certification period.
Physician certifications are valid for 90-days but can be renewed.
What do I need to apply for the OAPP?
- Once your physician has completed the online physician certification, call NuMed to complete your registration. You will need the following documents:
- Government-issued ID: current Illinois Driver’s License or State ID
- Proof of address which matches your driver’s license or state ID (i.e., utility bill, voter’s registration card, bank statement)
- 2” x 2” color passport photo (available at Walgreen’s, Walmart, etc.)
- Application fee – $10 for each 90-day period. Only credit, pre-paid credit, or debit cards are accepted.
- All applicants must also have a valid email address.